I always have more than one project open at the same time, with a number of projects also in a queue. I don't think I'll ever run out of ideas to write about. Today's queue looks something like this:
- The Planet Whisperer is in the final stages of editing with Dreamspinner Press. I've made some significant changes during editing and I think the story reads tighter and 'fuller' than it did before. I'm really excited for this book to be released late this year. It's very different to anything I've had published before.
- I have about half an hour of editing to do on Warrior Pledge and then it'll be ready to submit. I'll make those changes today and send it off. That means there'll be an empty slot in my queue.
- I need to finish the book I was working on before The Planet Whisperer went into production and I decided to rewrite Warrior Pledge. It's two-thirds done, so I can have some real creative writing time, and just make stuff up.
- Another book that's finished--No Evil Star--needs to be rewritten. I need to change the gender of a couple of characters, the orientation of a couple of characters, and create another character. Those changes mean a large number of scenes will have to disappear and new ones take their place. It's going to be a big job but I'll potter away at it for a while and see how far I get. I have other stories that need major edits as well. I'll tackle them one at a time in between new projects so that I don't feel like my whole life is nothing but editing.
- NaNoWriMo is coming up in November, so I'll have another new book to start then. I probably won't finish it but I'll have the bones down so I can work on it next year. I haven't decided which one to write yet. I have ideas for so many. I could revisit an idea a friend and I worked on several years ago but did nothing with. It explores the impact chemical imbalances in the brain have on behaviours. There's also one that I've written as a short story, but I could use the world--post-alien-invasion earth, that combines things from America's slave history and Dr Who--to create a novel from. There's lots of potential and why waste a world when I've gone to so much trouble to create it?